OR WAIT 15 SECS
The voluntary recall was prompted by elevated calcium levels in several lots of chicken, turkey and rabbit feed.
The FDA has announced the recall of four Purina Animal Nutrition feed products due to elevated calcium levels. According to the FDA notice, customers have said that the affected products may have caused their rabbits “poor health and/or mortality.”
Elevated calcium carbonate is known to cause health problems in rabbits. Signs of excess calcium in rabbits include pinkish urine and lethargy due to decreased feed intake. Death due to starvation may result if the animal continues to be fed these products.
Although there have been no reports concerning any of the recalled feeds intended for chickens and turkeys, elevated levels can cause kidney calcification and leg abnormalities in chickens and turkeys up to 6 weeks of age.
Following are the recalled products, all of which were manufactured between December 16, 2019 and February 3, 2020 (lot numbers are found on the sewing string of each bag):
• Purina Rabbit Complete, 50-lb bags, lot Nos. 0JAN06MFI3 and 0FEB03MFI3; 25-lb bags, lot No. 0FEB03MFI3
• Purina Rabbit Show, 50-lb bags, lot Nos. 0JAN09MFI1 and 0JAN24MFI3
• Purina Rabbit Professional, 50-lb bags, lot Nos. 9DEC17MFI3, 0JAN09MFI1 and 0FEB03MFI3
• Purina Turkey Starter AMP 0.0125%, 50-lb bags, lot No. 0JAN24MFI3
• Country Acres Rabbit Pellet 18, 50-lb bags, lot Nos. 0JAN09MFI1 and 0JAN23MFI1
• DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20%, 50-lb bags, lot Nos. 09DEC18MFI1 and 0JAN28MFI3; 20-lb bags, lot Nos. 0JAN08MFI1, 0JAN23MFI1 and
Affected products were sold through Tractor Supply Company in the following 32 states: Florida, California, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, Virginia, North Dakota, Colorado, West Virginia, Hawaii and Arizona.
Consumers in possession of affected products are advised to throw them away or return them for a complete refund. Anyone can report product concerns by calling Purina Animal Nutrition at 800-227-8941, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.