What to Do When Your Dog Ingests Electronics

November 8, 2016
American Veterinarian Editorial Staff

​Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, explains what to do if a dog ingests electronics, such as a remote control or batteries.

Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT, MS, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, explains what to do if a dog ingests electronics, such as a remote control or batteries.

Interview Transcript (slightly modified for readability)

“Many dogs are very attracted to remote controls for the TV. I think it’s because we eat when we watch TVs, so the remote controls smell like food. Many times the dogs will ingest the batteries, which contain corrosive materials, or even the remotes themselves, which contain all kinds of electronics. If possible, we would like to feed these animals and induce vomiting, to see if we can get [those electronics out of their systems]. If not, you can attempt to bulk those wires and other plastic pieces through the system, by increasing the fiber in the diet, or you may actually have to go in surgically and remove all that fun stuff.”