© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
Virox Technologies and NAVTA unveil infection prevention program
NAVTA members that complete courses will receive Infection Prevention Leader Certificate plus 5 CE credits
This article was updated March 20, 2023.
The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) has joined forces with Virox Technologies to release The Infection Prevention Leader Certificate Program.
This program aims to advance infection prevention best practices, as hospital-associated infections (HAIs) in veterinary medicine can cause detrimental health, financial and social consequences that impact patients, clients, and staff. Throughout a 5-year period, 82% of veterinary teaching hospitals documented at least one outbreak while 45% experienced various outbreaks.1 However, additional research2 found that 10%-70% of HAIs can be prevented with the help of improved infection prevention practices for safer workplaces.
The new certificate program is online and created to offer animal care professionals with the essential tools to reduce the risk of spreading infection while fostering a safer workplace. According to a company release, it includes 4 complimentary RACE approved courses3:
- Infectious Disease Control: Pathogens & Disease Transmission
- Infectious Disease Control: Infection Prevention
- Infectious Disease Control: Cleaning, Disinfection & Sterilization
- Infectious Disease Control: Implementation & Communication
Once the 4 courses are complete, students will receive a certificate along with 5 CE credits. Enrollment in the program is complimentary to all animal care professionals.
“Veterinary professionals are on the frontlines fighting diseases on a daily basis. Arming them with infection prevention best practices is now more important than ever” stated founder and CEO of Virox Technologies, Randy Pilon, in the release.3 “As a leader in setting new standards in disinfection and infection prevention, Virox Technologies is proud to work with NAVTA on this exciting new program.”
“In partnering with Virox, NAVTA intends that this certificate course gives veterinary team members a better understanding of HAIs and their prevention” added Jamie Rauscher, president of NAVTA. “In addition, the opportunity to make the course free to all team members is something that we readily agreed to make it more accessible to everyone.”1
NAVTA members can currently access the course. Its first graduates are anticipated to receive certificates in early 2023. Go here for more information: https://navta.net/infection-prevention-program
- Benedict KM, Morley PS, Van Metre DC. Characteristics of biosecurity and infection control programs at veterinary teaching hospitals. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008;233(5):767-73. doi: 10.2460/javma.233.5.767.
- Stull JW, Weese JS. Hospital-associated infections in small animal practice. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2015 Mar;45(2):217-33, v. doi: 10.1016/j.cvsm.2014.11.009.
- Virox Technologies and the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America launch new program to create infection prevention leaders News release. Virox Technologies. February 28, 2023. Accessed February 28, 2023.