Only you can prevent "toothanasia"
At a CVC Innovative Learn then Earn Drs. Barden Greenfield and Karen Felsted explain how and why practitioners can be more involved in periodontal disease.
About 80 percent of cats and dogs over the age of 3 suffer from some form of periodontal disease, says Barden Greenfield, DVM, DAVDC. And stage 1 of periodontal disease is the only reversible stage. Ideally, you'll catch the condition in stage 1 or, at the latest, stage 2. Remember, when you've reached stage 4 of periodontal disease, you've reached "toothanasia."
How can you encourage pet owners to schedule periodontal cleanings for their pets? Karen Felsted, CPA, MS, DVM, CVPM, offers these five tips:
1. Price radiographs and periodontal cleanings affordably.
2. Bundle periodontal cleaning, radiographs and extractions at a set price.
3. Offer incentives if pet owners book within two weeks of your recommendation.
4. Encourage layaway, where pet owners pay $20 a month until they've saved enough for a periodontal cleaning.
5. Include periodontal cleaning in your preventive care plans.