Luna overtakes Bella as top puppy name
What are the most common puppy names you might be seeing at your veterinary practice? Nationwide says a Harry Potter-inspired name beat out Twilight.
What are people naming puppies these days? Nationwide shared its list of names of dogs 2 years or younger drawn from a database of more than 750,000 insured pets.
Wait, you wanted wacky names?
Nationwide pet insurance shares those every year too. Here's the latest.
Here are the top five most popular puppy names overall and what states they hit No. 1 in:
- “Luna” (from fan-favorite character Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter books) was tops in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
- “Bella” (from the main character in the Twilight series-a name that has spent years atop lists for both dogs and cats of all ages) was most popular in Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
- “Charlie” was the favorite puppy name in Illinois.
- “Bailey” was tops in Kentucky and Maryland.
- “Cooper” won in Maine, Missouri and Rhode Island.
Other state-by-state winners include:
- “Buddy” (New Mexico)
- “Duke” (Arkansas)
- “Louie” (North Dakota)
- “Lucy” (Alaska, Ohio)
- “Max” (Nebraska)
- “Molly” (West Virginia)
- “Penny” (Washington, D.C.)
- “Ruger” (Vermont)
- “Sadie” (Montana)
- “Stella” (Louisiana).