Job hunting amid COVID-19
Emily Shiver, CVPM, CCFP
Emily Shiver, CVPM, CCFP, is regional director of operations at the Family Vet Group, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Shiver resides in Florida.
Practice manager and regular dvm360 contributor Emily Shiver shares 10 questions you should ask at your next job interview.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been a devastating time for the current workforce, but this could very well be the best time for you to start your job hunt. Many practices are hiring and are in desperate need of skilled team members. Before signing the dotted line, it's imperative that you find out how the pandemic has impacted the practice's workplace culture.
Here are 10 questions you can ask each practice so that you can make an informed decision:
- Did you lose anyone during this pandemic?
- How has your team adjusted to these unprecedented times?
- What new strategies have you put into place?
- Have you maintained a positive practice culture? If yes, how?
- What has been your largest communication challenge and how did you resolve it?
- Did you implement new safety procedures?
- In the event that an employee, myself or a family member of the team were to test positive for COVID-19, what would be your next step?
- How do you inform your team of any changes during the pandemic?
- Can I expect to have job security?
- What are the steps the practice is taking to reopen?
Take your time and interview with several practices. Use these questions as a tool to compare each practice before joining a new team. Happy searching!
Emily Shiver, CVPM, is practice manager at Cleveland Heights Animal Hospital in Lakeland, Florida.