© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
CVC has all the Practice Management hours you need
CVPMs need 48 hours of practice management CE every two years. We've got you covered at CVC. Here's an example of how you could blow your mind with knowledge (and fulfill your requirements) at a CVC near you.
(Shutterstock.com)A couple of fantastic practice managers-members of the Veterinary Hospital Managers Association, of course, and already with a Certified Veterinary Practice Manager degree under their belt-have told me the past couple of years that they don't think they can get enough practice management CE at a CVC show to satisfy their certification requirement: 48 hours every two years.
I took their skepticism as a challenge to prove what four fantastic days of practice management CE might look like at, for instance, the upcoming 2017 CVC Kansas City Aug. 25 to 28. Here's where I think a bright, experienced CVPM might want to go at my show-with bonus ideas for what you and your practice owner should attend together:
Friday, Aug. 25
- Are you in large- or mixed-animal practice? This is your afternoon of CE
- 12:30 - 6:30 p.m.: financial intelligence, practice opportunities, crises, culture and day-to-day objectives
- An innovative approach to driving revenue
- 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.: "Client compliance-builder workshop: Inspiring ideas to drive medical services"
- Bring your practice owner! Inspiring team members with finance (seriously!)
- 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.: "Forget the P&L-Sharing real numbers with your team," with VHMA president Brian Conrad
- Check out hot new print and online resources for promoting the Human-Animal Bond
- 3 - 4pm: "The Pet Effect: Wonder and why of connection"
- The bad habits have to stop!
- 4:15 - 5:15 p.m.: "Creating better expectations for interpersonal behavior in practice"
- Learn how your biggest asset can cost you a little less
- 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.: "Help! I think I'm spending too much on staff compensation"
- Bring your practice owner! Get inside pet owners' heads
- 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.: "Ask the pet owner: A LIVE panel and learning session," with VHMA president Brian Conrad
That's at least 7 hours on your first day! But you're just getting started ...
Saturday, Aug. 26
- Spend the morning with a president you'll like-VHMA president Brian Conrad
- 8 a.m. - noon: Find new clients, train up your receptionists' phone skills and learn how to explain the value of the wonderful work in your treatment area
- Bring the practice owner! Cut taxes and avoid lawsuits
- 12:15 - 1:30 p.m., FREE LUNCH AND CE: "Your legal tool box to manage lawsuits and taxes"
- Laugh while learning how to wow clients with improv-comedy-based learn with Dr. Andy Roark and Meg Pierson
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: "Customer service crash course"
- Ideas to get more black on your balance sheet
- 3 - 4 p.m.: "The inside skinny on boosting revenue"
- Take a break!
- Find your practice owner or team members. Talk over what you've learned. Find out what they've learned. Get outside, get some food and get pumped for the evening session!
- Bring the practice owner! Get a drink with that practice management CE
- 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.: "Management happy hour," with Drs. Dave Nicol and Andy Roark
You're up to at least 16 hours, and your second day's cooked like a Christmas goose! Let's fly to Day 3 ...
Sunday, Aug. 27
- Need a crash course in all things HR? Mark Opperman and Sheila Grosdidier have you covered all day
- 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.: hiring, training, compensation, employee manuals, termination and staff retention
- Bring the practice owner! Signing up with an online pharmacy? Check out the big players!
- 6:30 - 7:45 a.m., FREE BREAKFAST AND CE: "VetSource: Convenience improves compliance-How to support your pharmacy and your clients"
- 12:15 - 1:30 p.m., FREE LUNCH AND CE: "VetsFirstChoice: Simplify your life!"
- Learn body language skills to take home
- 8 - 9 a.m.: "Body language for the veterinary team"
- A doctor and a technician walk into a classroom ... it rocks
- 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.: "Epic fails in team harmony," with Dr. Andy Roark and anesthesia technician Tasha McNerney
- Bring the practice owner! Implementing a hospital-wide Fear Free culture
- 11 a.m. - noon: "Fear Free: Creating the veterinary hospital 'spaw'"
- Lunch option 1: Adding therapy laser?
- 12:15 - 1:30 p.m., FREE LUNCH AND CE: "K-Laser: Successful laser implementation workshop"
- Lunch option 2: Need digital marketing help? Ask the expert
- 12:15 - 1:15 p.m., $50: "25 big digital marketing hacks"
- Solve your team problems here
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: "Toxic team-A crash course in the antidote"
- Does your website work?
- 3 - 4 p.m.: "SEO basics-How to convert 'prospects' into 'clients'"
- Team members? Hold onto the good ones!
- 5 - 6 p.m.: "Motivation and retention"
- Bring the practice owner! Get your team together and enjoy food, music and drinks at our big party right down the street!
- 6:30 - 11 p.m.: CVC 2017 Block Party
You're up to at least 24 hours-that's your CVPM CE done for the year-but the show's not over yet. Overachievers (and folks who don't want to miss the awesome last-day speakers I picked) will join us on the last day ...
Monday, Aug. 28
- Bring the practice owner! Is your practice ready for the big changes that are coming?
- 8 - 9 a.m.: "How pet owners are changing and what it means to your practice"
- Do workdays with your team seem like a sad, slow song? Rock 'n' roll!
- 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.: "How to rock 'n' roll with your staff-Getting it done"
- Have fewer "But I can't afford that!" conversations
- 11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.: "Financial tools that can get clients to say 'yes!'"
- Do you need to drop dollars on Facebook or not?!
- 2 - 3 p.m.: "Paid social media-The art of 'pay to play' on social networks"
- Stop all the "he said, she said"
- 3:10 - 4:10 p.m.: "Solve the Bermuda triangle of triangulated conversations"
- Bring the practice owner! Don't be stunned by the boss's retirement
- 4:20 - 5:20 p.m.: "5 things you must ask before your boss retires"
That's at least 30 hours of hard-core, rock-n-rollin', fast-learnin', brain-expandin' Practice Management CE folks.
Do that once a year for two years, folks, and your CVPM CE is sewn up for your two-year requirement. I told you I got your back.