Before making recommendations to clients for curbing their cat’s nuisance behavior, ask yourself these questions. The answers will help you begin to mold your assessment so you can provide solutions that will benefit both the animal and the owner.
- Is the behavior normal for the animal or species?
- What interventions, if any, have been attempted to address the problem?
- What is reinforcing the behavior such that it continues or gets stronger?
- Does the owner have realistic expectations for improvement?
- Does the owner understand normal feline behavior?
- Does the owner have a basic understanding of learning theory and how to guide the process of behavior change?
- Does the owner or household have the ability to implement the necessary management and training plan?