© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
21 reasons to love your work
The next time you feel low, consult this list to learn what others love about veterinary medicine-and let their joy inspire you.
The next time you feel low, consult this list to learn what others love about veterinary medicine—and let their joy inspire you.
Marty Becker, DVM
1. Using a stethoscope to share the wonder of a cat's purr with a child
2. Taking the time to fluff up a hospitalized pet's bedding
3. Watching a paraplegic canine discover the gift of mobility that a wheelchair offers
4. The slightly damp, clean smell of a freshly bathed dog
5. Warm, fragrant, puppy kisses
6. The soft eyes of an animal in need, and the thankful eyes when you fulfill that need
7. Giving back life, when death was close
8. Successful teamwork during a crisis when life refuses to be extinguished
9. Receiving cards with photographs of patients
10. The grateful early morning eyes of a nearly-dead dog that was hit by a car the night before
11. Knowing that for every cranky client you get, 10 think you're wonderful
12. Wearing new scrubs or a new smock to work
13. Hearing the thud of a tail wagging in the kennel
14. Cat paws stretching out of kennel doors
15. Meeting people who are proud of being "cat ladies" or "dog people"
16. Seeing the "aha" look in clients' eyes when you explain a complicated medical concept well
17. Being confident enough to cry with owners when their pets die
18. A high-quality radiograph on the first take
19. Tears of thanks and tears of joy
20. Second generation clients
21. The wondrous family of caregivers with whom we share our work lives