© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
Quiz: Holiday myths debunked
Quiz: Holiday myths debunked (1-Fact)
You chose fact: Incorrect.
Myth: Though traditionally thought of as quite toxic to pets, the relative toxicity of poinsettia plants (Euphorbia pulcherrima) has been quite exaggerated.
Threat to pets: The most problematic components of the plant are the irritants found in its milky white sap.
Signs: As the plant is chewed and the sap ingested, mild and self-limiting oral irritation, salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea may result. Contact of sap with the skin may also result in mild dermal irritation, redness, and itchiness.
Treatment: The majority of cases can be managed at home. Induction of vomiting should be considered in cases of massive ingestions. Occasionally, supportive care such as anti-emetics, gastroprotectants, and rehydration may be necessary. In cases of skin contact, bathe the pet with soap and water to remove the sap.
Prognosis: Excellent provided severe vomiting and diarrhea don’t result in dehydration.