© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
New app offers veterinary professionals free 24/7 access to mental health resources
The Vets in Mind Alliance global app provides veterinary teams with useful tools to help increase awareness about a wide range of mental health issues and to build resilience and well-being.
Mental health continues to be a global concern within veterinary medicine. In fact, recent studies show that burnout is one of the most negative issues significantly impacting the profession. To help tackle the high burnout, depression, and disproportionate suicide rates, newly formed not-for-profit Vets in Mind Alliance launched a free app, providing veterinary professionals with easy 24/7 access to mental health support, tools, and resources.
“Having experienced burnout myself when working at Rossdales in Newmarket and having also experienced the loss of my father who took his own life when I was 10 years old, I have long wanted to help members of our profession with something tangible and really supportive,” says Vets in Mind Alliance founder Mark Johnston, DVM, in a company press release. “Developing an app that anyone can have in the palm of their hand, wherever they are, I believe will be more than just helpful; it will be life-saving.”
The Vet in Mind app provides users with general and informative articles about mental health topics like depression, anxiety, anger, self-harm, and suicide. It also offers measures you can take if you or someone you know needs professional support, along with tips to help build up your resilience and well-being. Most importantly, the app maintains confidentiality by not registering user details.
Key features of the new app are as follows:
- Over 500 resources (eg, links to TED talks and A-Z mental health conditions from UK Charity Mind)
- Personal stories (videos and articles) of people who share their unique mental health journey
- Helplines and other contact points for over 50 countries
- A news section highlighting current research and initiatives, along with streams from forthcoming meetings and events
- Tools and resources to help relieve stress at critical moments
- Books and podcasts
- eLearning courses
- Links to other apps, blog posts, and products that offer additional guidance and insight
For more information about this new app, go here.