Taking short mental breaks can help boost your performance on prolonged tasks, according to a 2011 study published in the journal Cognition. And research focused on human nurses show they value break time for social and emotional support. Working in a veterinary hospital, you likely feel the same way. Here are some cost-effective morale boosters to build a better breakroom.
1. Invest in comfortable breakroom chairs for eating, socializing and private team consultations. Or you could go for super comfy and opt for lounging chairs or couches.
2. Invite everyone to bring in old books, movies and music and create a lending library.
3. Install a TV. It connects your team to the outside world on breaks. Just make sure to set the volume at an appropriate level.
4. Offer games. Sure, you might not have space for a pool table, but how about a Monopoly board? A rousing game of Scrabble might just be enough to put a smile on team members' faces.
5. Make sure team members actually have time for a break. Short mental recharges are critical for your team's performance.