Patricia Talcott, MS, DVM, PhD, DABVT
Dogs [mostly sight breeds] have been known to exhibit severe hyperthermia following ingestion of 'raw' or spent hops [Humulus lupulus].
Bromethalin is one of the lesser known rodenticides on the market, and poisoning in dogs and cats is most likely underreported.
A confirmed toxicological diagnosis rests upon the following; the goal is to focus down on a reasonable list of differentials.
There have been numerous cases of dogs developing polyuric, oliguric or anuric renal failure within 12-72 hours of ingesting grapes and raisins.
The term mycotoxin generally refers to secondary metabolites of molds growing on foodstuffs, and the synthesis of many mycotoxins is genetically controlled.
Ingestion of paintballs has been associated with severe and potentially life-threatening acid/base and electrolyte abnormalities [most commonly hypernatremia] leading to ataxia, blindness, tremors, seizures and death.