To help you think about why team members stick around, we asked Blythe Addington, RVT, why she enjoys her work and why she returned to Broad Ripple Animal Clinic in Indianapolis, where she completed an externship, after she finished her degree. Here's what she says:
- Workload: "I get to use my skills to the fullest. I don't want to just hold animals all day, every day; I like to stay busy. Here, I feel like I'm always learning and improving my skills," Addington says.
- Recognition: "The doctors trust the technicians," she says. "We know we're important, and we know the doctors think we are, too."
- Environment: "I'm surrounded by caring support staff members, doctors, and clients. It's a nice work environment, and we have fun," Addington says. "I work with amazing people. And I get to really know clients. Helping them and their pets is very rewarding."
- Compensation: "The salary is higher than what I'd get working at most practices," says Addington. "And the benefits are good, too."
- Leadership: "They work with me and want me to be happy," she says. For example, Addington says she worked with the management team to offer behavior services—something she's passionate about.