PrideVMC celebrates Pride Month
This veterinary organization, founded by members of the LGBTQ+ community within the profession, is hosting several exciting virtual events in honor of this special month.
June 1 marked the beginning of Pride Month, a time when the LGBTQ+ community unites to celebrate themselves and to acknowledge the influence they have had on the world. PrideVMC, an organization founded to help create a voice for this community within veterinary medicine, is celebrating Pride Month in several ways, from recognizing LGBTQ+ veterinary professionals and sharing fun Pride facts on social media (@PrideVMC), to a number of virtual events that you can participate in:
- June 5: Join the organization for a virtual happy hour with the theme of “pets and pride.” PrideVMC Treasurer Kara Burns, MS, MEd, LVT, VTS (Nutrition), VTS-H (Internal Medicine, Dentistry), and Industry Liaison Ellen Lowery, DVM, PhD, MBA, will cohost the event. There will be toasts, laughter and prizes for the “Best Pride-dressed Person,” “Best Pride Pet” and “Best Pride Décor.”
- June 11: PrideVMC Board President Dane Whitaker, DVM, MPVM, and Board Secretary Abby McElroy, DVM, MS, will be featured on the AVMA’s “My Veterinary Life” podcast.
- June 16: The president of the group’s student chapter (PrideSVMC), Alexander Dhom, will be featured on AVMA’s “My Veterinary Life” podcast.
- June 18: Drs. Whitaker and McElroy will host a second virtual happy hour. This event is open to the entire veterinary community. Prizes will be awarded for the “Best Pride-dressed person,” “Best Pride Pet” and “Best Pride Décor.”
- June 27: There will be a global Pride Watch party. More information to follow.
To keep abreast of all the events and fun facts this month, search @prideVMC on your favorite social platform. For more details about the events above, visit the PrideVMC Member Community Facebook page.