© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
Power hour--muscle up and achieve more with stronger personal leadership (Proceedings)
An OB Model for Studying Individual Differences
· Seeing is believing.
· I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it.
Self-efficacy: “A person's belief about his or her chances of successfully accomplishing a specific task.”
A model of self-efficacy
Sources of self-efficacy beliefs:
· Prior experience
· Behavior models
· Persuasion from others
Assessment of physical/emotional state
Locus of control
· Internal locus of control: belief that one controls key events and consequences in one's life.
· External locus of control: one's life outcomes attributed to environmental factors such as luck or fate.
· For class discussion: what sort of locus of control “balance” do today's managers need to seek to be successful without experiencing excessive stress?
7 major mental abilities
· Verbal comprehension: meaning of words and reading comprehension.
· Word fluency: ability to produce isolated words to meet specific requirements.
· Numerical: arithmetic computation.
· Spatial: perceive spatial patterns, visualize geometric shapes.
· Memory: good rote memory of words, symbols and lists.
· Perceptual speed: perception of similarities and differences in figures.
· Inductive reasoning: reasoning from specifics to general conclusion.
The big five personality model
The Big Five Personality Dimensions
· Extraversion: Outgoing, talkative, sociable, assertive.
· Agreeableness: Trusting, good natured, cooperative, soft hearted.
· Conscientiousness: Dependable, responsible, achievement oriented, persistent.
· Emotional stability: Relaxed, secure, unworried.
· Openness to experience: Intellectual, imaginative, curious, broad minded.
Research finding: Conscientiousness is the best (but not a strong) predictor of job performance
Emotions: Complex, patterned, organismic reactions to how we think we are doing in our lifelong efforts to survive and flourish and to achieve what we wish for ourselves.
Positive and negative emotions
Positive emotions (goal congruent)
Negative emotions (goal incongruent)
Ø Power Distance
Ø Individualism or Collectivism
Ø Quantity or Quality of Life
Ø Uncertainty Avoidance
Ø Long-Term or Short-Term
Ø What Are Attitudes?
Types of attitudes
· Job satisfaction
· Job involvement
· Organizational commitment
· Attitude-Behavior Relationship
· Social pressures
· Direct experience
· Responses to Job Dissatisfaction