Petco Love donates $1 million to Helping Heroes this Veterans Day
Supports national organizations who offer service, therapy, and working pets for veterans
In honor of Veterans Day, Petco Love has granted around $1 million to support Helping Heroes, a program centering on organizations that transform shelter pets into heroes to assist those in need, primarily US veterans.
A multi-phase research program at Purdue University revealed that veterans paired with service dogs displayed lower post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptom severity and better mental health.1 "We've demonstrated that service dogs can provide a higher quality of life for some of our nation's veterans living with PTSD. Expanded funding, like that provided by Petco Love, is essential to meet the demand to expand this much-needed research,” stated Purdue professor Maggie O'Haire, PhD, in an organizational release.2
"This Veterans Day, we are reminded that 18 veterans lose their lives every day to suicide. There is an overwhelming demand for trained service and companion dogs to support their needs," added Petco Love president Susanne Kogut, in the release. "We are honored to provide the vital support necessary to assure that more shelter dogs can become trained canine companions to help veterans—saving lives at both ends of the leash."
Organizations awarded with investments include2:
- K9s For Warriors: Trains shelter dogs to be heroes for US veterans with PTSD, traumatic brain injury and/or military sexual trauma at its main headquarters in Florida and at the Petco Love K9 Center in San Antonio, Texas.
- Working Dogs For Vets: Adopts shelter dogs and trains them to help disabled veterans, empowering them as they return to civilian life.
- 4 Paws 4 Patriots: Offers medical/psychiatric service dogs to transform the lives of disabled veterans and their families.
- Shelter to Soldier: Adopts dogs from local shelters and trains them to become psychiatric service dogs for post-9/11 veterans experiencing service-related trauma.
- K9 Partners For Patriots, Inc: Adopts qualifying shelter and rescue dogs to help veterans confronting a war all over again as they suffer from anxieties born of service-related PTSD, traumatic brain injury, and/or military sexual trauma.
- Dr. Maggie O’Haire shares science-based insights on the human animal bond at PVM Research Day. Purdue University. April 29, 2022. Accessed November 9, 2022. https://vet.purdue.edu/news/dr-maggie-ohaire-shares-science-based-insights-on-the-human-animal-bond-at-pvm-research-day.php
- Petco Love helps heroes at both ends of the leash this Veterans Day. News release. Petco Love. November 9, 2022. Accessed November 9, 2022. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/petco-love-helps-heroes-at-both-ends-of-the-leash-this-veterans-day-301668546.html