People food toxic to pets: Alcohol
< Back | Next >
What it's in:
Alcoholic drinks aside, alcohol can be found in some surprising places. Rum-soaked cakes or candies and dressings containing alcohol may be poisonous to pets. Alcohol is also a major byproduct of ingested yeast-bread dough
(see yeast-bread dough).
Threat to pets: Even small amounts of alcohol, especially when ingested by small pets, can cause life-threatening toxicity.
Signs: Alcohol smell on the breath, neurological depression, hypothermia (low body temperature), hypotension (low blood pressure), seizures, and respiratory failure.
Treatment: Administer intravenous dextrose (sugar) and fluids. Warming measures and in-hospital monitoring are also recommended.
Prognosis: Excellent provided the appropriate care is received.