© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
New bunny species being boarded at clinics nationwide
April Fool's! Learn about the Easter treats most dangerous to pets--seriously.
National report -
A recent glut in purchases of brown rabbits at grocery stores across the country has led to record bunny boarding at veterinary practices.
Team members tell Firstline that the popular new species-one of which is pictured at left at Weeyet-thaireers Pet Clinic in Itzajohk, Virginia-is remarkably calm and quiet. But veterinarians assure us that their refusal to eat, complete immobility, and lack of vital signs is all perfectly normal.
“They do surprisingly well without food or drink,” says Dr. Esther Sunday. “They melt in sunlight, though. They may be vampire bunnies.” She would neither confirm nor deny whether dark bunnies at her clinic were missing their ears before they were boarded.
Firstline has received scattered reports of fights between team members over who gets to walk the small bunnies, some of whom have “escaped” during lunch hours.
Dr. Sunday did say, however, that veterinarians and team members should be telling clients to watch out for treats that are unsafe for their pets to eat during this spring and Easter holiday.
Warn clients of the following (we're being serious now):
> Chocolate contains theobromine, which dogs metabolize slowly. When ingested by pets, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst and urination, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and even death.
> Dark chocolate is more dangerous to animals than milk chocolate because of its level of theobromine. White chocolate has the lowest level of theobromine and is not generally thought of as toxic, while baking chocolate contains the highest thebromine level.
> Individual dogs vary in their sensitivity to chocolate.
> Any pet that eats gum and candy with the sweetener xylitol can experience a life-threatening drop in blood sugar. Signs of a low blood sugar include vomiting, weakness, difficulty walking, tremors, or even seizures. Xylitol ingestion can lead to liver failure and even death.
These toxicity facts are courtesy of the Poison Pet Helpline. The silly humor is strictly the fault of Firstline.