Senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline details dangerous Halloween treats to bear in mind this season
During a dvm360® interview, Renee Schmid, DVM, DABT, DABVT, senior toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, highlights some hazardous candies and ingredients pet parents should be warned of, plus signs of a toxic exposure.
The following is a partial transcript of the video.
Renee Schmid, DVM, DABT, DABVT: If [pets] get into a large amount of [chocolate], the first thing they typically will do is vomit, a lot of them will vomit on their own. Some of them that don't may have a little bit of agitation or restlessness if they got into a large amount of chocolate. There's also a concern with even just sugared candies, so gummies, gummy worms, gummy bears, the [chewy candies], the Sour Patch Kids, things like that. If they get into a large amount of those, those can actually cause a fluid shift into the GI tract.