The recall is due to potentially elevated levels of Aflatoxin
Kaytee Products Inc. has issued a voluntary recall for its Kaytee Wild Bird Food Birders’ Blend, 8 lb. bag because potentially elevated levels of Aflatoxin were found to be above the legal limit. Aflatoxin naturally occurs by-products because of Aspergillus flavus growth and can be harmful if ingested in large quantities.
The affected products from this recall are:
According to an organizational release,1 Kaytee Products were notified by the Georgia Department of Agriculture after routine laboratory analysis of the now-recalled product. The affected products were packaged in clear plastic bags and sent to ACE Hardware Distribution Centers in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. These distribution centers service neighborhood hardwood stores within the Southeastern United States.
Retailers in possession of the affected lots are asked to remove the products from their inventory and shelves. For consumers, Kaytee Products asked consumers to return to the retailer for a full refund.
As of March 18, 2023, no illnesses were reported in connection with this bird food blend, and no other Kaytee products were found to be contaminated.1
Voluntary Recall of One Lot of Kaytee Wild Bird Food Birders’ Blend, 8 Lb. Bag, Due to Elevated Levels of Aflatoxin. News release. Kaytee Products Inc. March 18, 2023. Accessed March 20, 2023. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230318005074/en