The Taman Safari Bali has welcomed 2 Himalayan black bear cubs, named Liu and Liam, who were born on August 1, 2023, to mother Lili.
An adorable snapshot of Liu and Liam (Photo courtesy of Taman Safari Bali).
Fun facts about Himalayan black bears
These bears, also known as the Asiatic black bear, dog bear, and moon bear, are3,4,5:
- Of medium size and recognized by their distinct light-colored, crescent-shaped chest patch
- Primarily nocturnal feeders and sleep in a tree hole or cave during the day, but sometimes forage diurnally
- Found in warmer areas during the summer in altitudes of 10,000 to 12,000 ft up near the timberline during and migrate to more tropical forests in winter descending as low as 5,000 ft
- Omnivorous, but when food is scarce, they may turn to livestock such as sheep, goats, and cattle
- Are powerful swimmers and excellent tree climbers
- Known for the males being solitary while cubs remain with their mothers for 1 year to 18 months
According to an organizational release,1 Lili’s gestation period was 243 to 245 days and with her patience and resilience, she gave birth to the cubs.
"The successful breeding of Himalayan black bears is a testament to our unwavering commitment to wildlife conservation,” expressed Dr Kadek Kesuma Atmaja, the dedicated Animal Curator at The Amazing Taman Safari Bali, in the release. “It reflects the tireless efforts of our devoted animal caretakers, skilled veterinarians, and our entire team."1
Himalayan black bears are listed as vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.2 Native to the mountainous terrain of South Asia, some threats to these bears include habitat loss and poaching. According to the zoo, “The successful breeding at The Amazing Taman Safari Bali serves as a beacon of hope for the preservation of this remarkable species.”1
Liu and Liam are being closely monitored by and receiving meticulous medical care from the veterinary and wildlife care team.
- Heartwarming news: The amazing Taman Safari Bali welcomes Himalayan black bear cubs. News release. October 3, 2023. Accessed October 4, 2023. https://www.prnewswire.com/in/news-releases/heartwarming-news-the-amazing-taman-safari-bali-welcomes-himalayan-black-bear-cubs-301945074.html
- Himalayan black bears. Bear Conservation. Accessed October 4, 2023. http://www.bearconservation.org.uk/the-iucn
- Asiatic black bear. Bear Conservation. Accessed October 4, 2023. http://www.bearconservation.org.uk/asiatic-black-bear
- Himalayan black bear. Animalia. Accessed October 4, 2023. https://animalia.bio/himalayan-black-bear
- Goodness T. Ursus thibetanus. Asiatic black bear. Animal Diversity Web. Accessed October 4, 2023. https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Ursus_thibetanus