© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
Dog owners on Lyme disease: What?
Survey reveals dog owners don?t know all the facts.
April couldn't have come at a better time. It's Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month and it presents you the perfect opportunity to educate-or re-educate-dog owners about the dangers of the disease. A recent online survey conducted by WMS Marketing Services for Merial shows that pet owners aren't as parasite-savvy as you may have hoped. Just check out the statistics below. Then clear up any confusion among dog owners by sharing the preventive steps they need to take to protect their pets. Use these client handouts to help:
- Only 45 percent of owners surveyed have their dogs vaccinated against Lyme disease.
- Although 72 percent of owners indicated that they kept accurate records of their dogs' vaccinations, 55 percent either didn't have their dogs vaccinated against Lyme disease or didn't know if they had.
- More than one-third of dog owners believed there was no effective Lyme vaccine.
- More than one-fourth of dog owners believed Lyme disease was a problem in the Northeast, and not much of a concern in other parts of the United States.
- For dog owners who didn't have their dogs vaccinated against Lyme disease, 30 percent have no specific reason for not doing so.