© 2023 MJH Life Sciences™ and dvm360 | Veterinary News, Veterinarian Insights, Medicine, Pet Care. All rights reserved.
Developing your management skills: Employee performance evaluations: Part 3 (Proceedings)
Utilize your computer software to set up reminders a month in advance to remind you to prepare for employee evaluations.
- Utilize your computer software to set up reminders a month in advance to remind you to prepare for employee evaluations.
o Some systems have a follow-up prompt in which you can be reminded by a follow-up prompt versus having to print a reminder.
o Follow-up prompts are similar to a tickler system to help you stay on top of periodic and random dated assignments.
- Preparing and customizing performance evaluations will require an initial investment of time. Once you have customized the evaluations the difficult work will be behind you. Sample evaluations are included in the client binder that you received at the time of the on-site consultation.
- Prepare a brief memo explaining that you will be conducting evaluations during (time period) and include with the memo individual performance evaluations that each healthcare team member will complete with regard to themselves.
- Distribute the memo and performance evaluation forms to the healthcare team two to three weeks prior to the scheduled performance reviews so that they have ample time to complete the evaluation form in preparation for their review.
- Solicit feedback from the owner(s) and associates regarding the performance of those you will be evaluating two to three weeks prior to the review. This will give you sufficient time to complete evaluation forms on each healthcare team member.
o It is not recommended that healthcare team members perform evaluations on each other.
o Management should conduct performance evaluations. Gathering feedback from ownership, associates and team leaders, if applicable, is a recommended practice.
- Schedule performance reviews by date and time.
- Notify the healthcare team of their scheduled performance evaluations and commit to these dates and times. Your healthcare team is anxious to receive feedback and your commitment to the scheduled times is imperative.
Performance review planning checklist
- Be prepared — know the objectives and goals of the meeting
- Time and Place — choose a quiet, private spot with as few interruptions as possible
- Conducting the interview
o Create a positive environment and help the employee feel at ease
o Give balanced feedback, both positive and areas of improvement, but start with the positive
o Focus on the job, not the person
o Ask questions and allow the employee to provide feedback
o When discussing areas for improvement, discuss methods and objectives for improving
o Discuss possibilities for advancement, the employee's aspirations, and professional development necessary to be a candidate for such future positions (See Professional Development section)
o Summarize and review the important points of the discussion
o Re-state the action steps that have been recommended and provide a time frame for completion
o Make sure employee reviews the appraisal and provides comments
o Have employee sign it to acknowledge that he or she has read it (does not signify agreement with the content)
o Follow-up with the employee to see how plans are proceeding within the given time frames
o Offer the employee assistance in achieving objectives and encourage discussion of successes and obstacles
Sample employee performance agreement
Employee Performance Agreement Review