What to know when bringing furry friends into the workplace
To celebrate National Take Your Dog to Work Day, share these safety tips with clients for when pets tag along with them to the office
Approximately 1 in 3 people—and 1 in 2 in Generation Z—have adopted a new pet during the COVID-19 pandemic.1 Therefore, many people now consider a pet-friendly environment when making career decisions. This can include a work from home option, or more offices today are welcoming dogs into their workplaces.
Research has demonstrated that pets can have calming effects, reduce stress and blood pressure, and even make employees more cordial and productive.2 However, there are also health and safety considerations when bringing pets into a workplace. In honor of National Take Your Dog to Work Day today, in a company release,3 National Business Furniture highlighted pointers on ensuring office spaces are safe and comfortable for furry pals.
- Prioritize safety: Dog-proof the office before welcoming them into the workplace. This can consist of ensuring there are no small-sized potential choking hazards (eg, paper clips or chewable items like pens and pencils) within reach. Also make sure there is access to outdoor areas for the dogs.
- Limit wandering: Gates can help prevent dogs from venturing into off-limits spaces.
- Add pet-friendly furnishings: Furniture should be easy-to-clean, scratch and fur resistant, plus durable and using fewer seams. Tightly knit or vinyl fabrics help avoid stains and pulls. Avoid sensitive materials such as silk, linen, solid wood or tweed. A comfortable dog bed under the desk can serve as a safe space as well for them to unwind.
- Have dog treats handy: Keep healthy dog treats in your office desk drawer. Steer clear of snacks that can be toxic for your pet (eg, chocolate, grapes, etc).
- New survey shows being pet-friendly is a smart move for workplaces. Mars Veterinary Health. April 9, 2021. Accessed June 24, 2022. https://www.mars.com/news-and-stories/articles/new-survey-on-bringing-pets-to-work
- The benefits of bringing pets to work. University of Southern California Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. Accessed June 24, 2022. https://appliedpsychologydegree.usc.edu/blog/the-benefits-of-bringing-pets-to-work
- Tips on sharing your office space with furry co-workers for National Take Your Dog to Work Day. National Business Furniture. June 23, 2022. Accessed June 24, 2022. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tips-on-sharing-your-office-space-with-furry-co-workers-for-national-take-your-dog-to-work-day-301574314.html