The dirt on skin diagnostics.
1. Skin smear: To identify the presence of organisms (bacteria or yeast)
2. Skin scraping: To identify parasites
3. Fungal culture: To identify ringworm (dermatophytosis)
4. Skin biopsies: To rule in or out underlying endocrine, immune-mediated, allergy, fungal, bacterial, or parasitic disease
5. Urinalysis: To identify internal diseases
6. Complete blood count, blood panel: To identify internal diseases
7. Thyroid panel: To rule in or out thyroid hormone abnormality
8. Low dose dexamethasone suppression test and/or an ACTH stimulation test: To rule in or out Cushing's disease
9. Culture: To determine the type of bacteria present and the appropriate antibiotic to use
10. Allergy testing: To determine the underlying allergen causing the infections
Source: Allergy, Skin and Ear Clinic for Pets in Livonia, Mich.